Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us

Christensen.

In Linda's article she challenges the reader, as well as her students to take a closer look at the fairy tales and childhood stories they grew up listening to. This notion was an intriguing one for me. Personally, I don't think that I have ever given a lot of thought to why childhood stories are set up the way that they are (why certain characters are portrayed in a certain light).

The main points of this article centered around developing the skills to "critique portrayals of hierarchy and inequality in children's movies and cartoons" (127). As well as being able to "imagine a better world, characterized byb relationships of respect and equality" (127).

One idea that tripped me up, and I'm not entirely sure that this was Christensen's intent, is that I don't want to feel bad that I liked the story of Cinderella or Snow White as a little girl. I understand and agree with Christensen that these stories portray unrealistic fantasies, but is it necessarily bad to have liked them as a child? I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. The biggest thing to hold on to here is the relationship between pleasure and critique... that lifts some of the guilt and allows you to enjoy things even though you may be critical of the ideologies they represent.

    ReplyDelete