Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Media Literacy

As this was my first task in this class (thanks to changing my schedule around a million times) I was very interested as to what media literacy was all about.

One definition I found for media literacy, that was particularly useful, states that it" is the ability to "read" television and mass media." Also, "media literacy education teaches people to ACCESS, ANALYZE, EVALUATE, and PRODUCE media." I found this and more insight to the world of media literacy at http://www.medialiteracy.net/research/definition.shtml

Another useful site was the Center for Media Literacy's. http://www.medialit.org/
This site provided a look at the media literacy education piece and the resources that go into developing programs to educate the youth about being able to accurately decode media messages.

I'm glad to know that there is so much information on the web about media literacy. I feel that it is an important tool in education that may not be utilized as often as it should. There should be more done with media literacy at an early age, say late elementary school as kids need to be equipped with the tools to understand the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment